One of the many privileges of the BlackBerry Smartphone is Wi-Fi connectivity which can be used for surfing the internet instead of the 3G network without incurring cost for data usage. Many users have acclaimed this to be faster and able to access bigger files than the 3G network.
The Wi-Fi is a term used to describe devices that are certified and enabled to exchange Data with other Wi-Fi or internet enabled devices using radio waves or with wireless connection within Wi-Fi network coverage areas. This also includes high speed internet connection. This is why Wi-Fi is interchangeably used for wireless local area network (WLAN) as defined by the Wi-Fi alliance.
The following are the steps required to use Wi-Fi on BlackBerry Smartphone:
1. Go to menu Click on manage connections and highlight the Icon for Wi-Fi connection.
2. Click on the icon next to Wi-Fi, this will turn it on.
3. Click search for available Wi-Fi network within the range of the location.
4. When the network of choice is highlighted, a password will be requested if it is a secured network or network that need authentication.
5. Enter the network password to gain access to Wi-Fi.
6. If you wish to select a network without authentication, that is a public Hotspot, select show open networks only.
If successful, Wi-Fi icon will show on the Home screen instead of EDGE.
If this is not working, make sure your “default browser” is change to “Hotspot Browser”. This will help to automatically connect to Wi-Fi when the network is detected.